HEALTH & FITNESS

Lying Momma — Where You At?

Although I can empathize with what they’re feeling, I don’t have a lot of sympathy when I hear other mothers go on-and-on about their pre-baby body as if it’s some distant memory never to be experienced again. Complaining about your saggy stomach, stretched-out boobs, and cottage-cheese thighs is a big, fat pity party for one. Why don’t you add a pint of Ben & Jerry’s while you’re there and complete the picture?

Let’s get real, ladies!  Past and current pregnancies are perfect excuses to adopt lazy habits and make poor lifestyle choices. “Eating for two” sound familiar?  No you’re not! You’re eating for one — and 2.5 ounces of another. And God forbid anyone ever challenged us for keeping a few pounds around the middle once we’ve brought the miracle of new life into the world! But love it or hate it, someone needs to show you mommas the light.

When I say I can “empathize”, I truly mean it.  To prove that I know what it’s like to lose control of your body, here I am at 37 weeks and getting ready to go to the hospital to birth my twins. People, the fact that I even put this awful picture on the internet is proof of how much I love you. I weigh 205 pounds here…’nuff said.

No, I take that back. It’s not enough said.  Do you see those thunder thighs? What about that flabby arm!  My stomach turns just looking at this picture.  I hereby swear, if I am ever pregnant again (IF, Mother, I said “if”!), I will make far better choices for both me and baby…ies? (God have mercy).

Now here’s the real deal. Once the 20 pounds of baby and fluid were gone, did I magically lose all the weight overnight? Heck, no!  It took me years of learning and making smart changes as I re-programmed what I thought I knew about food, exercise and healthy living — even though I had come from a healthy upbringing, I had a lot to learn.  It was, and is, a journey.  And now, I am confident that I would never make the same mistakes again (although I’m sure I’m making different ones!).

The truth is, we all have the ability to not only get that pre-baby body back, but do even better! Not only did I lose that 65 pounds of baby-related jelly, I lost another 20 for good measure. Find what works for you — and don’t give up trying until you do. You’re capable of more than you think!

This is for all the mothers out there. Proof that you can do the impossible with dedication and hard work! As a side note, I didn’t ride motorcycles until after I had kids — another example of how we can defy the limits we, and society, impose on ourselves.

And for all you pregnant ladies out there, let’s set our sights higher than the social norm and not use the reproduction of human life as an excuse to eat whatever we want whenever we want. If there was ever a time to eat clean, it’s while you share your resources with that growing babe. I didn’t consider this enough when I was pregnant and my body, and possibly my children, paid dearly for it.

30 thoughts on “Lying Momma — Where You At?

1. I am speechless…you are an inspiration for sure!!!

Posted by teodora | March 3, 2011, 1:47 am
  2. I remember that belly!
    You look unbelievably great, you are inspiring me to push myself a wee bit harder.

PS~ Totally unrelated but have you seen “waiting for superman” about the public schools in the states yet? You should check it out, are the boys in a private or public school there?

Posted by Melissa | March 3, 2011, 6:03 am
  3. Inspired by YOU I went out and got myself a couple of Jillian’s DVD’s!! Thanks for the kick in the bum Tasha!! :)

Posted by Natasha M | March 3, 2011, 9:52 am
    • Sweet! Let me know which ones you got and how you like them! I’m totally curious to know!

Posted by Natasha | March 3, 2011, 9:53 am
      • I got Yoga Meltdown and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. (2 for $20 deal at HMV).
        On a scale of 1 to 10 my activity level is (make that WAS) probably about a 2. I am also, one of those skinny/fat girls.
        The Yoga DVD is great…Never done yoga before, but I love it because she adds movement to the poses.
        Phew the other DVD was a HUGE kick in the bum for me. But I’m sweatin’ up a storm and feel AWESOME after its done :)

Posted by Natasha M | March 11, 2011, 2:23 pm
        • SWEET! I’m stoked to hear that! I am definitely going to check them out!

Posted by Natasha | March 11, 2011, 5:26 pm
  4. nice! thanks for sharing the photo! wow! multiple mums are inspirational. you did a fantastic job of getting yourself fit.

Posted by Michaela | March 3, 2011, 10:20 am
    • Thanks Michaela! But if there’s ever a “next time”, I’ll never let myself get to that point! It was my own fault!

Posted by Natasha | March 3, 2011, 11:03 am
  5. You put my transformation to SHAME!!! You’re an amazingly inspiring woman with will and determination to SHOW that if you want “it” bad enough, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

…all you need to do is believe in yourself!
    :D

Posted by Kaylee Norton | March 3, 2011, 10:28 am
    • I don’t know about that Kaylee! Your transformation was just as challenging, I’m sure! And you inspire ME!

Posted by Natasha | March 3, 2011, 11:05 am
  6. WOW! I am TOTALLY and COMPLETELY speachless. I’m just in the beginning years of having babies and I am most definitely in awe of your post baby body! Thank you so much for reitterating that it is NOT necessary to eat more than I normal or that those silly voices telling me that I am eating for 2 are a myth.
    You are beautiful.

Posted by Trista | March 3, 2011, 11:04 am
  7. thanks for the kick in the pants!

Posted by heidi | March 3, 2011, 11:08 am
  8. Tash, you look the best you ever have since I’ve known you, and that’s quite awhile! Thanks for being willing to share the before and facts and pictures….I know how hard the would have been. I’ve so great to know that although there might scars that our bodies are resilient when we treat them right. I need to do more of that. And, I love that you acknowledge it took years of trial and error and just plain time…we could all do with a longer view of ourselves instead of always looking/counting on the “quick fix”.

Posted by Erin | March 3, 2011, 12:31 pm
  9. WELL said! Thanks for sharing :)

Posted by PamJ | March 3, 2011, 12:53 pm
  10. You really are an inspiration – I really enjoyed meeting you today over “kettlebells” and knowing that you also had twins and look that amazing will definitely keep me motivated.

Posted by Stacy | March 3, 2011, 1:33 pm
    • Great to meet you, Stacy! I think you’re doing really great for six months post-twins! I don’t think I seriously hit the gym until they were over a year, at least. Again, that is one way I would do things differently if I was to ever birth another child. Keep up the great work and remember, it’s 80% diet, 20% exercise!

Posted by Natasha | March 3, 2011, 3:01 pm
  11. Great post Natasha! Just to remind you of where you were at way back then. If I remember correctly (and who am I except the proud Mum!), you were trying to wrap up work, and more than one and so you were working right up until bed rest. Oh wait, you were working WHILE bed resting! And weren’t you doing renos on a new house as well? You were very tired. And despite all the chaos you did great. Those were two full size babies you delivered! It just shows that there’s something to say for the “old” way of making sure pregnant women were allowed to rest, take care of themselves, and everyone made sure they didn’t get upset or worried about anything. We have gotten away from allowing ourselves to stop the treadmill of life for just a little bit while we experience one of, if not THE most miraculous events of our lives. Which means rest, eating properly and thinking rightly. Calmness. Good job Natasha!

Posted by Lynda Rittenhouse | March 3, 2011, 10:16 pm
    • You are so right, mum! Mental calmness is more important than we realize. But I just wish I had channeled some of that mental frustration into upper body workouts or some other type of bed-rest-approved exercise!!!

Posted by Natasha | March 4, 2011, 10:03 am
  12. Loved your post. It was a good reminder that whatever goes on right now, must come off once my pregnancy is over… I’m already planning my attack on my body post-baby. Reading this totally inspires me to push myself (and not give in to those “mommy” excuses). Thanks!

Posted by Adrianne | March 4, 2011, 8:45 am
    • Good for you, Adrianne! And you’re so right — it’s FAR easier to put it on than it is to get it off! So every single decision you make while pregnant will carry a price. Good luck!

Posted by Natasha | March 4, 2011, 10:04 am
  13. You look amazing! Did you have to have a tummy tuck, or did the skin tighten back up with weight training?

Posted by shannon | May 16, 2011, 2:35 pm
    • No surgery for me! Phew!!

I ate super well and made sure to give my body all the macro-nutrients it needed (so not just counting calories but really making every calorie be a worthy one). :)

And of course, a lot of heavy lifting!

Posted by Natasha | May 16, 2011, 2:40 pm
      • That is awesome! I really need to step up my game. I have 2 sons, 1 would be almost 5, and the other is 2. I am 5’2″ and I weigh 130 right now. I had cesareans with both of them, so I have the little cesarean ledge (yuck), I got lots of stretch marks, and a little loose skin (and I am only 24). I just finished this semester (in nursing school)…so now I have lots of time for the gym (yay!!!). My weakness is diet…but I am working on it. Any tips would be great :)

Posted by shannon | May 16, 2011, 2:50 pm
        • Absolutely diet. You can not out-train a poor diet! I always say that it’s 80% what you eat, 20% how you move. Yes, I had the “ledge” you speak of! It was basically a gunt…GROSS! I didn’t think it would ever leave but when I lost all the baby weight, plus an extra 15, it was gone. Hello flat tummy! But yes, I have tons of stretch marks…the more weight you lose, the more they go away because there’s not as much tissue behind them to stretch them out!

Now if I put weight on, I notice that it will go to that spot first…good motivation to keep my diet super clean! :)

Posted by Natasha | May 16, 2011, 2:55 pm
          • As for advice, google “clean eating” and go from there. Pick up a copy of the Clean Eating magazine (or cookbooks) and Oxygen Magazine for weight routines and helpful columns. I found your blog through the Fit Mama of Twins blog that you had commented on and I should say that I 100% don’t agree with her that food has to “taste crappy” in order for you to lose weight. LAME and so not true. You just have to cook smart — use fresh herbs and the right food combinations. My healthy, clean meals taste absolutely amazing!

Posted by Natasha | May 16, 2011, 2:56 pm
  14. I agree with you here…she makes eating clean sound horrible!!! Do you think it is ok to have steak on occasion (like once every few weeks…I am not a big fan of it anyway!)? I basically eat sweet potatoes, bron rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread (as far as grains), boneless skinless chicken breast, ground turkey, cod/haddock, tuna, and sometimes steak (for meats), all types of veggies…
    I eat mostly good…it is the sweet tooth that gets me sometimes! The cookies, and cake (gross).
    Now when I have a sweet tooth I go for some banana with PB or some plain greek yogurt with granola and fruit (yum).

Posted by shannon | May 16, 2011, 3:04 pm
    • I’m probably not the best person to ask since I’m a vegetarian (with the occasional free-range, organic poultry thrown in there). I didn’t really intend to become a vegetarian but I just never had an interest in eating meat so I figured I might as well “label” myself and deal with it!

But seriously, I don’t think having lean red meat once a week is a problem. In fact, many dieticians would say that’s the healthiest thing for you. Sounds like you eat very well and have a good head on your shoulders — knowing that, I’d say listen to your body. If you crave meat, then eat it. :)

Posted by Natasha | May 17, 2011, 1:10 pm
  15. I just wanted to say, thank you! I am 32 weeks pregnant with my first child, and while I have changed my eating habits dramatically, I’m still woefully watching my stomach stretch and the stretch marks pile on; can’t help that. It’s wonderful to see that someone who was, well, pretty large in the belly (kind of hard not to be with twins) was able to work it off, cause all I’ve had is women tell me how my body will never be the same.

Posted by Victoria | December 9, 2011, 1:01 pm
    • Thanks for stopping in Victoria! So nice to hear that you’ve changed your eating habits now that you’re pregnant. That’s great! As for the stretch marks, don’t be discouraged. The truth is, my body DOES show signs of wear and tear after a brutal pregnancy — but the good news is that when you focus on getting healthy and losing any extra weight (post-pregnancy), the wear and tear is less and less noticeable. The stretch marks are still on me if you look super closely but once you remove all the fat behind those marks, they really don’t have anything to “stretch” them out! So sure, you’re body won’t ever be the “same” again — but that doesn’t mean you have to lay down and take this pregnancy thing as the end of your bikini days or an excuse to just be lazy and fat! :)

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | December 12, 2011, 7:41 am

1. Pingback: Domestica’s Most Controversial Posts « Fabulously Domestic - January 9, 2013

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.