HEALTH & FITNESS, REVIEWS & GIVEAWAYS

Ultrasound Results — You Won’t Believe It!

Remember all the weird things that started happening when I began taking a natural supplement for my enlarged liver?

Milk Thistle, FOR THE WIN!

I’m pretty certain my doctor is shocked that this holistic approach actually worked. And so fast.  Just as I suspected, my follow-up ultrasound showed that I have lost nearly 3 cm in liver. That’s about one solid pound of liver weight!

If you’re looking for a product that will give your liver a boost in fighting the toxins and pollutions we put it through every day, I highly recommend the Swanson Milk Thistle supplement. And it’s just a few bucks per bottle (of which I am getting NO kick-back from, just for the record). I’m still shocked that such an inexpensive product was of high enough quality to work this well. Sometimes with supplements you never know if it’s making a difference or if you’ve wasted your money but in this case, I can honestly say that this product is of fantastic quality.  Enough so that it attacked my congested liver and purged a pound of sludge in less than 6 weeks!

And now, I promise — no more liver talk!

11 thoughts on “Ultrasound Results — You Won’t Believe It!

1. wow, that’s so interesting! Any idea what had it so clogged up in the first place? I wonder if milk thistle is okay for nursing mothers.

Posted by Natalie B | October 14, 2011, 1:33 pm
    • Interestingly enough, I have reason to believe that a few of the minor medical issues I’ve been having lately are ALL linked to my hormones changing ever since having the boys. I know they are out of whack. I’m going to see a ND to try and get it sorted. Not sure if milk thistle is recommended for nursing mothers but I’m assuming no as most supplements/vitamins are not FDA approved for nursing/pregnant women. Although, I’m thinking it would be beneficial for nursing babe to get some of this extract in their system, too! So much pollution in our environment now means our livers are on hyper-drive from day one. But something you would want to talk to your doctor or naturopath about. :)

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | October 14, 2011, 3:37 pm
  2. Tasha,
    all the side effects that you had when you firsts started taking the milk thistle…have the subsided?

Posted by milleniumfury | October 14, 2011, 7:28 pm
    • They have totally stopped. The grimy skin thing was just for a few days actually. Now, I think I can actually feel my liver ache a little bit when I have coffee or fatty foods…not sure if it’s in my head but yesterday I stopped drinking coffee and have switched to tea. Apparently coffee is a no-no for those with liver problems so who knows! Definitely drank too much coffee anyway (it’s the most heavily sprayed crop in the world and hard to get organic unless I’m making it at home).

Posted by Liz | October 17, 2011, 9:09 pm
  3. FYI Milk Thistle can cause birth defects so it is absolutely not safe for pregnant women, my naturopath took me off of it as soon as there was even a chance of a possible pregnancy. I also think it is not recommended for nursing moms as it is a detox and I think that the rational is that if mom is detoxing while breast feeding baby gets the toxins. . .not good. That said my hormones were all out of whack and I was treated for a “toxic” liver and I also had great results, better periods, no more hormonal headaches, she couldn’t cure my skin issues though (acne) =(. This was pre-pregnancy, she said after the detox I was in great condition to conceive.

Posted by Kristi | October 16, 2011, 5:51 pm
    • Oh that’s good to know! Thanks Kristi! I totally didn’t think about it detoxing — you’re absolutely right that it would be a bad idea for nursing moms.

What did your naturopath have you do as part of the detox??

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | October 17, 2011, 9:11 pm
    • Very interesting, thanks for the info! Also, I had a friend who did a detox after having her baby and she ended up getting gallstones – very painful and apparently a not too-uncommon side effect of post pregnancy and detoxing, so she created (unknowingly) the perfect storm for herself.

Posted by Natalie B | October 19, 2011, 2:06 pm
      • I’ve heard that some people are so toxic that they need to do a colon cleanse before they do any sort of liver cleanse or else everything gets backed up and they end up with gallstones.

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | October 19, 2011, 4:00 pm
  4. Specific Focus
    -optimize digestive function
    -reduce overall inflammatory load to optimize healthy skin
    -enhance liver detoxifcation to reduce hormonal PMS symtoms and migraines
    -maintain consistent blood sugar levels to improve overall engergy levels.

Suplements
    For 2 weeks or until finished
    -Whole Body Integrative Cleansing System
    +Fibre Formula
    +Laxative Formula
    +Milk THistle Formula
    +Estrium (specific for hormonal detox)
    +BeneFibre
    +digestive enzymes
    +LCH (Thorne)
    +Herbal tincture (specific for skin Focus)

Diet
    Eating only whole foods (nothing packaged)
    No Dairy
    No red meat
    no gluten

recommended cooking methods
    Steaming
    Poaching
    Baking
    Stir fry

This diet was for 4 weeks and once I completed it I didn’t want to put garbage back into my system, I have not had a fast food burger or fries since then.

Posted by Kristi | October 21, 2011, 1:36 pm
    • Wow, thanks for posting that! I’m kinda dreading the cleansing diet that I’m sure the naturopath will recommend! But at least it’s not all that different from how I typically eat. And YAY for no fast food!! :)

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | October 23, 2011, 9:25 pm

1. Pingback: Montreal: The Land of Greasy Poutine and Proof That Domestica is Not a Total Health Nazi « Fabulously Domestic - February 7, 2012

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.