food

When in Rome…make your own Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

Move over Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream-straight-from-the-pint.  There’s a new kid in town packing an easy 300 calories more than your forbidden-self and it’s not looking good.  Yes, I would be frightened if I were you.

Who said that the best guilty pleasures in life (i.e. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups) can’t be had while living abroad?!  Ha! I laugh at you oh mistress of cultural oddities — for not only do I have the power to make this be, but I have high-quality Swiss chocolate at my fingertips to make it be, well, better.

Do yourself a favor and down some calorie-light green salad and veggies before you make these bad boys.  Believe me, it will be oh-so-worth-it.

Photo credit: Crin of CY Snapshots.

Shhhh…don’t tell anyone but they are super easy to make, too!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Ingredients

• 1 (11.5 ounce) package milk chocolate chips, divided
  • 1 cup peanut butter (and not the natural stuff, either)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

Directions

1. Trim 12 paper muffin cup liners to half their height.
  2. Place 1/2 chocolate chips in a microwave safe container. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring after each minute. Spoon melted chocolate into muffin cups, filling halfway. With a spoon, draw the chocolate up the sides of the cups until evenly coated. Cool in the refrigerator until firm.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar and salt. divide into the chocolate cups. Melt the remaining chocolate, and spoon over peanut butter. Spread chocolate to edges of cups.
Recipe from AllRecipes.com. Photo credit: Crin of CY Snapshots.

10 thoughts on “When in Rome…make your own Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

1. I looooove Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, it has to be one of my favorite, up there with Almond Joy!

Posted by Paul Pereira | March 17, 2010, 7:59 pm
    • I’ll have to make some next time we get together for a playdate…although with the amount of sugar in these, we’ll hide them from the kidlets. 🙂

Posted by Natasha | March 17, 2010, 8:20 pm
  2. wow that looks so easy and yummy. I don’t like chocolate that much but I love Peanut butter cups. Thanks Tash

Posted by Jerusha | March 17, 2010, 11:08 pm
  3. Wow – great job! Tempting to make… Now, if only I wasn’t the only one who would eat them in my house!

Posted by Vanessa | March 17, 2010, 11:53 pm
  4. oooh, I should make these for my husband, he’s a PB freak.

But why can’t I use the natural peanut butter? *ducks to avoid flying objects*

Posted by Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels | March 18, 2010, 1:19 pm
    • Two reasons NOT to use natural PB for this (we use it normally, though).
      1: It’s separated. The hydrogenated oil in the “regular” PB makes for better consistency
      2: It’s unsweetened, so you have to add much more sugar, and the granulated sugar ends up making the PB filling sort of… granular.

Posted by Tim | March 18, 2010, 7:07 pm
  5. Mmmmmmm…..these look sooooo good. I love pb and chocolate together. And I’m with Vanessa……it would be ME that eats them all!

Posted by Lynda Rittenhouse | March 21, 2010, 5:39 pm