Cinnamon & Raisin Quick Oatmeal

Sugar-laden cereals and starchy pancakes aren’t going to cut it for the next four weeks.  So for breakfast this morning, I made one of our favourite breakfast meals: oatmeal.

If you’re the type that rips open a package to make porridge, I have one thing to say to you.

Stop! Stop right now!

Now go buy some quick-cooking oats and follow this recipe to make your own delicious oatmeal. Not only will it be much cheaper, it will be free from preservatives, sugars and wasteful packaging.

This porridge is in no way even close to the amazing homemade oatmeal my culinary-talented hubby makes, but he uses brown sugar and sweetened dried cranberries (not sugar-free) so I’ll have to bring that to you post-challenge.

There really is no way to photograph oatmeal attractively...well, with my limited photography skills, anyway. But trust me, it tastes good.

Cinnamon & Raisin Quickie Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk (or water)
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp raisins

Directions

1. Put all ingredients (except raisins) into small pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir until thickened to your liking.
  3. Just before taking off the heat, stir in raisins.

9 thoughts on “Cinnamon & Raisin Quick Oatmeal

1. anniespickns says:

While I like the old-fashioned or steel oats I love your idea of kicking up quick-cooking oats. For me, I like to add chopped walnuts. They add another layer of texture and are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, or sometimes I add raw pumpkin seeds which supply healthful minerals, protein and monounsaturated fat. You can also substitute yogurt for the milk. I use an unflavored greek yogurt.

• Natasha says:

Good tips! And I think you’ll love Tim’s amazing oatmeal that I’ll post in July. It has sliced almonds and although I’m not a big nut fan in cooked food, I really love the added texture and nutrition from them in his recipe!

2. Vanessa says:

Day 2 – Note to self: one should not make brownies while on a sugar and flour cleanse. Oh the willpower! But it was a thank you to our neighbours and I didn’t want to go buy something. I hope they enjoy them…

• Natasha says:

Dude! I’m with you…I have quite a few events I have to bake for in the next few weeks and it’s going to be PAINFUL.

3. Rahel says:

I add chopped dates to my daily oatmeal — no need for any additional sugar or syrup. BTW: Coop’s “Bio Haferflocken fein” are perfect for breakfast — they don’t even need cooking, but will be soft even if you just soak them in (Nespresso-warmed ;-)) milk for a couple of minutes…

• Natasha says:

That milk frother is so high on my (imaginary) list of things I must have, I can’t even start on it. Mmmmmmm. On the downside, I was up until 2am. On the upside, I had lots of creative juices for writing into the wee hours. 🙂

Oh, and good tip on the dates — SO healthy for you! Packed with energy.

• Rahel says:

Oh no! My apologies for the strong cappuccino, but I did warn you, didn’t I? It’s not the milk frother’s fault — go get one 😉

4. Shannon says:

I had this (minus the maple syrup) for breaky this morning! Instead of syrup of honey I add a tsp of virgin coconut oil and pure vanilla to compliment the cinnamon flavour =)