Recipe: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

EDIT (12/3/10): I have now added a White Glaze Drizzle as well as reworked the Spiced Glaze to make it less grainy. Enjoy!

As I mentioned in my last post, my cookbook will give average girls a chance to impress their friends with their baking prowess.  One way to do just that is to make a homemade version of a commercial favorite.  My Peanut Butter Cups make the Reese’s versions taste like cardboard and that disappointing Cinnabon experience I mentioned? Yeah, I got that covered, too.  But my newest knock-off addition is my all-time fave…the Starbucks Pumpkin Scone.

<insert angelic voices here>

Now normally, if I treat myself to one of these at Starbucks, I break it in half horizontally and just eat the top part (with the icing).  This way, the icing gives the super dry scone some added moisture and I save myself a third of the atrocious calories (but let’s not talk about that).

One of the great things about building confidence in the kitchen, is when you buy something and realize that you could make it better — and then you go home and do it.

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon

White Glaze Drizzle:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp cream
1/8 tsp pure vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Lightly butter a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Using the course side of a cheese grater, grate the cold or frozen butter into the dry ingredients (frozen is best) and then add grated butter to the dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until crumbly.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, cream, and egg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Work any remaining dry ingredients into the dough as you form the dough into a ball with your hands.
  4. Pat the dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Use your hand as a straight-edge to form the dough into a rectangle of about 9 inches long by 5 inches wide. Using a large knife, cut the dough with two vertical lines (resulting in 3 equal sections) and then again horizontally through the middle (resulting in 6 equal squares). Cut each square diagonally to create triangles.  Place the 12 triangles on the prepared baking sheet.
  5. While those bake for 8-10 minutes (a toothpick should come out clean), make the Spiced Glaze by combining all Spiced Glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisking until smooth.
  6. When done baking, let the scones sit for five minutes on the baking sheet before placing a dollop of the Spiced Glaze on each warm scone. After one minute or so, spread the melting glaze lightly from edge to edge of each scone. Scoop up any glaze that has melted down a scone and use to patch up any areas on the top of each scone that are still exposed.
  7. If also doing the drizzle, make the White Glaze by combining all White Glaze ingredients in a bowl/container with a small pour spout (i.e. a Pyrex glass measuring cup).
  8. Gently push the scones together so that they are all lightly touching. Then, holding the White Glaze about 8 inches above the scones, pour the glaze out of the bowl and drizzle all over the scones in a back-and-forth, zig-zag fashion.
  9. You’re welcome.

Please make these! I’m still in the tweaking stage and value your feedback.

11 thoughts on “Recipe: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

1. Teodora says:

Natasha –

can the pumpkin be substituted for something else? Can’t really find good pumpkin in Basel at this time of the year? Is the cream cooking cream (sweetish) or sour cream?
    thanks a lot

• Natasha says:

Good questions, Teodora!

To omit the pumpkin, you’d really need to change up the entire recipe since the spices won’t jive with much else. That said, you could try unsweetened apple sauce and it may produce good results…the spices would probably work and the consistency/tartness is similar.

The cream I’ve called for is any kind of full fat milk cream…like whipping cream or half-and-half.

Let me know if you give it a go!

• teodora says:

Hi Natasha –

I just made the scones…they tasted delicious. I did not put the cloves because I did not have any ground one but still everything tastes great. Thanks for the recipe.

• Natasha Kay says:

Great! I’m glad it worked out for you. I’m not sure I’ll put these in my cookbook though because I feel like they may be too complicated/overwhelming for a beginner baker…what do you think?

• teodora says:

I actually thought this was pretty easy and really quick to do…and I love to cook but I am not the greatest baker because I usually like to wing it and baking doesn’t allow too much leeway:) But I thought these were great. I think I need to a put a little less ginger may be…

2. teodora says:

Natasha, I have a really really recipe for a wonderful chocolate cake, which is a beginner baker’s dream…I think you might like it:

200 gr mayo
    1 cup water
    2 cups all purpose flour
    5 tbsp cocoa powder
    1 cup sugar
    10 gr baking powder (1 tsps)
    vanilla flavor if you like it

Mix all the dry ingredients and then add the water and the mayo. Mix it well using a fork. No need for a mixer.
    Pour into a greased baking sheet lightly coated with flour or you can use a silicon form – I used a 27 cm round form.
    Bake for 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180 C. Use a toothpick to check if it is ready but remember that it needs to stay moist and a little sticky, so don’t overbake.

Take the cake out and let it cool down. Then coat it with the following chocolate mixture:

Chocolate couverture and butter – 200 g chocolate to 100 g butter. Melt the chocolate slowly over hot water and add the butter and stir until the mixture evens out.

It tastes really great!

• Natasha Kay says:

Looks…weird! But I’m always up for something easy and interesting. I’ll have to give it a try in March (I’m off sugar this month so I’ve taken a baking hiatus). 🙂

• teodora says:

yes, it looked weird to me too but then I thought about it and mayo is really well beaten eggs and oil, which you put in cakes anyway…the mayo makes it all chewy and fluffy at the same time.