Put On The Brakes!!

We made it!  Week One COMPLETE!

No matter how you did, congratulations on being on board and making that first step in taking charge of your health.  One down, a lifetime to go!

Before I give you your Week One homework (oh…did I not tell you about that?!?), I have to tell you that my worst fear came true when I got a message shortly after posting my final Passengers on the Fitness Train.

We forgot someone at the platform!

What’s worse is that she was the first to arrive at the station and was possibly one of the most enthusiastic passengers!  So please hold on tightly while I slam on the brakes for a huffing-and-puffing Judy to step on board after chasing our train for a hundred meters!

While she catches her breath, I’ll introduce her to the group.

Judy is a mom of two grown kids who has done an amazing job of making lifestyle changes and losing 100 pounds in the last two years!  After re-gaining a few pounds recently, she’s joining this challenge to find new motivation in reaching her goal weight.  Judy wants to build the strength and endurance to run…any distance will do because she knows that by doing this, she’ll open new doors to all that life has to offer — things that her weight has often kept her from doing.  But Judy is saying “no more!” and is blasting through the fear of the unknown while holding to the faith that it’s going to be the best thing she’s ever done for herself. And it will be!  To achieve these goals, she’s committed to attending her AquaFit class three times a week, doing light weights at home, and eating clean.  Last year, she discovered her love of golf and also plans on using that as a way to walk off these pounds! I love that and only wish we could play a round together!

Oh, and wait! Who’s this lone girl waiting back at the station?  Join the party, little lady!

And well, she really is little.  Meet Michelle — she’s our first passenger who is looking to gain weight. Now before you hate on her, give her a chance to explain!

Michelle admits that she’s never struggled with being overweight, but she is also quick to admit that she’s scrawny (her words, not mine!).  With a healthy percentage of body fat, Michelle wants to gain seven pounds of muscle mass to give her some definition and sleek curves.  Remember the “squishy toothpick” I mentioned in an earlier post? Well, Michelle’s done with being one of those and wants to get strong! Her action plan is to follow P90X (2-3 times a week), give her muscles the hydration it needs (she’s using my bracelet trick), and after eliminating wheat and dairy from her diet (there’s a reason she’s skinny, folks!) she also needs to come up with more healthy meals.  Being single means that she’s prone to eat whatever’s within reach so making an effort to cook well-balanced meals will be a great way for Michelle to build that muscle!

Now for Week One homework!

1. Post a comment below with your progress report on how you did this week with your goals and action plan!
  2. Some of you are opting to re-measure and weigh yourself — that’s up to you. If you’re comfortable sharing that with the group, great! Just post a summary of net loss/gain.  Or, just send it to me directly. Some might want to just wait until the month is over to re-measure/weigh and that’s fine, too.
  3. Some of you have already told me that you want your stats/weight to be private between you and me. But if you’re okay with me using your progress as a way to motivate the rest of the group, either on this blog or in our private Facebook Group, please let me know!  I think it would be great for you all to see real numbers.

CHOO CHOO!

24 thoughts on “Put On The Brakes!!

1. Rebecca says:

Just did the first JM 30 Day Shred. No doubt whatsoever that this will be effective. Trick will be to see how I feel tomorrow since I tend to feel really awful the day after a workout. Have gone for walk/jog/hike almost every day for the last week and a half. Calendar has made it to my desk for workouts to be scheduled…have one more week til my April gym pass is valid, so walking and videos until then.

Am making beef/tomato/yam stew with tandoori curry paste.

Hope the rest of you are doing well 😉

• Natasha says:

Make sure you have an IMMEDIATE hit of protein/carbs after your workouts (within 30 minutes of finishing). This should help you not feel so crappy the next day. 🙂

Great work!

2. Melissa says:

Way to motivate Tash! Keep up the great work, is being a nutritionist/personal trainer in your near future?

3. Bree says:

I have lost 2 pounds! I stuck to my calorie limit by logging all my food into my iPhone app! WooHoo so excited for week 2!

• Natasha Kay says:

I especially loved what you told me, Bree — that you knew you were going to indulge at Cold Stone one night so you saved some room in your calories and opted for a kid-size portion! THAT is the lifestyle change that will not only get the weight off but KEEP the weight off!

4. Lynda Rittenhouse says:

This has been a great group of people. Very encouraging and informative! Keep it up everyone! Tomorrow will be day 30 of Jillian’s 30 Day Shred for me. I missed about 6 or 7 days. I have really noticed I’m getting stronger. We won’t talk about the weight. But I totally understand and am ready for it to be months before I see any action in that department. Because I know that I have a lot of other things that exercise and good food need to take care of first. The body knows what it needs to do. So I’m trudging on. I totally like the 20 minute intense workouts. Good programme. I also walk with my husband most mornings for a fast 40 minutes. I’m concentrating on drinking my water, taking my supplements, eating properly and getting a good nights sleep. And I’m working on replacing the negative talk in my head!! Side note: very, very true that you can exercise all you want but if you are eating crappy, you are most likely not going to lose any weight. In fact, you’ll most likely gain!

• Natasha Kay says:

That’s so awesome Mum! I know how great it feels to FEEL the strength you’re building — LOVE IT!

So you did well with your five meals a day?

And yes, the negative self-talk is going to be one of my big focuses this week — stay tuned!

5. Jocelyne says:

Well week one is off to a slow start for me, but that’s ok. I didn’t expect to see any changes on the scale yet which I didn’t, but I’m not worried. For me this week has been about changing the way I think and to try and be more aware of what I’m eating. I am reading a book a bought about food and groceries which is encouraging me to want to be healthier. I’ve gone on a couple walks and to the gym once but I am eager to do more this week! With going back to work after Spring Break, I hope to create a balanced routine. So regardless of the scale this week, I’m making progress in my mind which is where it has to start so I’m proud of myself for wanting to change, now I just need to really make time for myself to do this! No more being lazy for me 😀

• Natasha Kay says:

I agree — the battle begins in your mind. You are totally getting on the right track by changing your thinking and educating yourself. Living ignorantly might seem blissful but it comes at great cost, as we all know! The more you put these things in motion, the more that weight will shed. Lisa, a fellow passenger, can attest to that. She did her daily exercise and watched the calories all week long — and in return lost SIX pounds! It will happen for you, too!

6. Adrianne says:

My first week wasn’t the greatest, but your last post was definitely encouraging for me. If I have a bad week, I just think that I should either give up or go hardcore with the healthy eating and exercising – neither are good options, especially while I’m pregnant. I know I need to be mindful and eat healthy, but at the same time I know I need to gain weight right now. I am really trying to listen to my body and eat what and when I need to. Just had some sugar and refined flour slip ups (which are even worse when you aren’t used to refined flour & sugar in your body). Exercise wise, I did a bit better, getting out with the toddler or doing the elliptical and weights, but my body doesn’t feel as good when I don’t eat well. Feeling pretty heavy and pregnant, ugh…

I love the quote from Heidi that you posted the other day – I’m not going to beat myself up for last week or give up because I wasn’t as successful as I wanted to be. I’m just going to do better this week!

• Natasha says:

Isn’t it so true, Adrianne? When we eat refined food, our body goes into shut-down mode! I have finally come to a place where I’m so aware of how crappy I’m going to feel from eating that bad thing that I just don’t really want to eat it in the first place! But it took me a lot to get there. You’re right that this is a time to have grace for your body, too. 🙂

7. Tracey says:

Hi I missed this post. My train was derailed on friday by the worlds worst migraine! But I only missed one WOD. I don’t have a scale, weight has never been a concern I think for me all my work will become apparent when I remeasure my body in three weeks. I have downloaded the calorie counter app and I’m going to incorporate it into my remaining time.

Back on the rails!
    Tracey

• Natasha says:

That’s totally fine, Tracey! I think doing one re-measurement at the end is a great idea…especially since you don’t have much to lose. I’m loving your WOD’s posted on the group site, too!!

• Colleen says:

This week has been a complete write-off in my daily workout routine because of illness. My food intake was lower in calories than it should have been; but I ate lots of oatmeal for more than just breakfast! I am so looking forward to being able to get back to the gym as well as the 30 day shred again in the mornings. The posts here are so encouraging & congrats to each one for being committed.
        Train is leaving Kitchener this week…full steam ahead 🙂

8. Alyssa says:

Week 1 was not as great as I thought it would be… I did Jillian’s 30 Day Shred on a couple days and some other exercising, which is more than usual so that’s good! We celebrated 4 birthdays this week, so that was really hard. I am going to New York City for a few days this week and I have a job interview on Friday. I know we’ll be doing a ton of walking in the city so that will be awesome! And I’m going to try to make good food decisions. I’m hoping the stress of the job interview doesn’t get the better of me!

• Natasha says:

That’s not just good, that’s GREAT!! Doing more exercise than you typically would is a fantastic first week! 🙂

Good luck at the interview and have fun in NYC! Find a way to blow off the interview stress by sweating it out (walk, run, hotel gym workout?), rather than eating to suppress it! I know it doesn’t sound as appealing but you WILL feel much better! I know this because I replaced my post-interview-DQ-Blizzard habit a few years ago and it was the best thing ever!

9. Michelle says:

Talk about inspiration! You ladies are definitely going to help keep me on track!

My update:
    Day 1 resistance work out was chest and back. I surprised myself by pulling out 12 standard push ups before collapsing, and 7 of all the other types of push ups including the diamond push ups (I squeaked out one dive bomber). This has prompted another goal: 15-20 standard push ups and 10-15 of the other ones (and 5 dive bombers).
    Diet was a bit more of a challenge (as it will be with my restrictions) but the benefit of no dairy and wheat (and knowing the chef) meant no mashed potatoes and creamy leaks and instead green salad (vinaigrette on the side) with kale and beets. And thanks to all your comments goals and inspiration I’ve Jillian and Tosca’s books on hold at the library! If anyone has some tips/recipes for easy dairy/wheat free meals please share.

• Natasha says:

Nice work!! 12 push-ups is not an easy feat! I’ve never heard of dive bomber push-ups until now — will definitely have to try them as they look really interesting!

Are you using almond milk or another dairy alternative? Did you see my tofu cheesecake I just posted about? Because you CAN use all tofu…you’d just have to adjust the base to replace the cookie crumbs with something else. Can you do graham crackers? Is it just refined flour you’re avoiding or gluten?

You should also look to Indian food — it’s often dairy and wheat free and is one of my favorites to cook! I can give you some recipes, if you’d like.

And stir-fry’s — always a good veggie-packed meal with low calories. 🙂

• Michelle says:

You know I’ve been on this diet for 6 months and amd still very afraid of tofu!!am totally game for some tasty recipes.

• Natasha says:

I’ll see what I can do! But again, make sure if you use tofu, that you get organic. It’s the ONLY way to get tofu that hasn’t been made with genetically modified soy beans. 😦

10. Vanessa says:

So nice to read everyone’s updates! As for me, I had company in town last week which is making it easy for me to be hard on myself for being out of routine. But if I look on the positive side I did manage to get in a 45min walk last week and I continued eating well. I’m lucky my inlaws are healthy eaters so very little indulgences! Even when we went out for dinner I shared a meal with my MIL rather than getting my own. Walked away feeling very satisfied and we saved money too! Logged in about 3 days on my iphone app. Started this week off well with a 4mile walk/run this morning plus lunges at the park while my son played. I’m feeling better already 🙂

• Natasha says:

Great stuff, Vanessa! Sounds like you did really well even though your routine was shaken. 🙂