There are some foods where you put it in your mouth and your taste buds are so confused that they’re not sure if they should bust out the piñata and have a party or put on their librarian glasses to do their best research in figuring out what the heck they just ate.
This is one of those recipes.
It might not look like much but this salsa will knock your socks off. And I love watching fellow watermelon-haters when they devour this dip and then look completely puzzled when they find out it’s full of watermelon!
Split Personality Salsa
Makes 6 Servings
1 1/2 cups Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, finely chopped
1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
4-6 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
2 tsp Tabasco
6 oz. Goat Cheese, crumbled
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips.
A few extra hints:
- I am not responsible for the outcome of your salsa if you use dried basil!
- Add another tsp of Tabasco if you like it spicy.
- Unlike the photo above, I typically use a harder goats cheese so it stays in small chunks rather than blending in.
- It’s fine to eat right away (yes, please!) but you can also prepare it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to blend.
Nutritional Info (without factoring in tortilla chips…ouch!):
106 calories per serving (7 g carbs, 6 g fat, 6 g protein)