{VIDEO} Baking Soda and Vinegar for your Hair

Using baking soda and apple cider vinegar instead of over-priced salon shampoos and conditioners is not only saving me cold, hard cash, it’s giving me the best. hair. ever.

Since posting about this last time, I’ve come up with some easy ways to make this even simpler and I’ve perfected my hair “recipes”. My hubby was so impressed with the look and feel of my hair that he tried it himself. Now the entire Domestica household has come to the hippy-side and we are a shampoo/conditioner-free family!

I promise we still use soap.

“Recipes”
Shampoo: 500 ml squeeze bottle filled with warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda
Conditioner: dollar-store spray bottle with approximately 1:8 apple cider vinegar to water (i.e. 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups water)

Only use this regime once every 3-5 days or your hair will become brittle and dry. If you find that it’s getting too dry, use the ACV in between baking soda treatments to try and restore a bit of moisture. I’ve also heard of people who, after getting out of the shower, rub a bit of coconut oil in their hands (until liquified) and then run it through their clean, wet hair.

Since I work out 6-7 days a week, my hair gets a daily dose of sweat and I find that keeps it from getting too dry. If I’m taking time off from the gym and my hair starts to feel too dry, I use the ACV every other day or as needed and that seems to do the trick!

15 thoughts on “{VIDEO} Baking Soda and Vinegar for your Hair

• Natasha (Domestica) says:

Of course, Zena! Full credit to you and Melissa (my blogger friend who also started around the same time as you). Once I saw that neither of your hair was falling out, I had the guts to try it!

1. Natalie B says:

I love you, you are so funny! “I just don’t know why people would pay money to have CRAPPIER hair!!” hahaha… okay, question, do you have your hair wet with water before you start the treatment? I’m definitely thinking about trying this 🙂

• Natasha (Domestica) says:

🙂

Yes, I basically pretend like I’m using actual shampoo. I wet my hair and then put the baking soda/water all throughout it and spend a bit of time “lathering” it through my hair (even though there’s absolutely NO lather!). It will feel like you’re doing jack-squat, but believe me, it’s working!

I think you should TOTALLY try it!!

• Natasha (Domestica) says:

Oh, and one thing that I didn’t mention — it might take a few weeks for your pH balance to really adjust to this. Mine only took a week or so, Tim’s took 3 weeks. His was kinda of course during the adjustment period and mine was just a bit stringy/oily.

But once the pH-balance adjusts to the lack of chemicals, your hair will be as smooth as your baby boy’s!! 😉

AND…what I didn’t realize when I posted this video is that using this regime has also completely taken away my dandruff problem! I had been getting dry scalp issues for the last year or so and it was getting really bad.

• Natasha (Domestica) says:

DEFINITELY! In fact, I have a few readers who have extremely bleached hair and they have LOVED this routine…saying that it has left their harshly treated hair softer and more luxurious than ever before! The trick though is making sure to add the coconut oil step in the middle. It’s what locks in the moisture to otherwise dry locks. 🙂

• Natasha (Domestica) says:

Oh…I just realized that I didn’t really provide the coconut oil middle step in this post — so here it is:

After rinsing out your baking soda mixture, put a tsp or two (depending on how much hair you have) in the palm of your hands. Put your palms together so that your own body heat liquifies the coconut oil and then rub it thoroughly through your hair, focusing on the ends. Some people stay away from the roots as they find it makes their hair too greasy…you have to play around a bit to find what works for you.

Finally, let the oil sit on your hair for a few minutes and then rinse it out and continue to the ACV step. 🙂