What’s Inside Domestica’s Kitchen

I love it when someone flicks the health switch on their life and is chomping at the bit to make drastic changes to their lifestyle.  But it’s important to recognize that making habit changes requires time and patience.  I am not the same person I was just a year ago but the healthy changes I’ve been making were possible because they happened gradually and in due order.

Some people thrive on a clean slate and a major overhaul but most people succeed when making one change at a time. While I am continually growing, improving, and learning, I have found that the key to success is being open to new growth while also doing my best to seek it.

An example of this would be my eating and shopping habits.  You may recall the photos I posted of my personal kitchen last year.  The truth is, I don’t eat anything like that today!

Over the course of a year, a few of the habits I’ve changed are:

• We now eat high-protein Greek yogurt instead of regular
  • I scrapped the Larabars that I was using as a post-workout snack (dumb!!) and swapped in a protein powder instead (smart!!)
  • We added raw whole milk instead of pasteurized skim milk
  • I shop at the Farmer’s Market every week
  • We cut out breakfast cereals, even the “healthy” ones
  • We switched to steel cut oats instead of regular oatmeal
  • We’ve dramatically reduced the grains we were eating
  • I discovered the power of Superfoods; like chia, ground flax, and hemp hearts
  • I became a smarter vegetarian — adding nutrient-rich plant-based foods (like Nutritional Yeast) into my diet

One thing you won’t find in my kitchen is processed food.  I try to follow the 8-Ingredient-Rule: If it has more than 8 ingredients, you probably shouldn’t eat it!

The only thing not shown?  A whole lot of fresh fruit!  Our countertop is full of it and I can’t wait for berry season to really kick in!

7 thoughts on “What’s Inside Domestica’s Kitchen

1. You pantry and refrigerator look EXACTLY like mine!! I wish you lived closer to me (or I lived closer to you!). It would be nice to have people with similar viewpoints on food living around me. I’m slowly starting to influence some of my friends, but wow, it is taking a LONG time!!

Posted by Liz | May 24, 2012, 6:27 am
    • I know! It’s hard when you feel like you’re the only one who “gets it”. I still cringe when parents bring McDonald’s to their kids for lunch….like that’s what they need to do well in school!!

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | May 24, 2012, 6:59 am
  2. You have made some great changes; even the way you labeled is different. 🙂 Can you tell me why you keep the flax and chia seeds in your freezer? I have mine in the cupboard…

Posted by njsherry | May 24, 2012, 2:54 pm
    • I keep the flax in the freezer because nuts and seeds (especially ground ones) can go rancid very quickly. I keep a small amount of chia seeds in the cupboard but then put our back-up bags in the freezer until needed. I would also keep ground flours (almond, etc) in the fridge as they will go rancid as well. Why don’t we put white flour and whole wheat flour in the fridge, too? Because they’re so heavily processed (and bleached) that they don’t go rancid! What a sign of their true nutritional value!!

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | May 25, 2012, 12:12 pm
  3. Love your kitchen photos… I store my wheat germ, nuts, flax in the fridge or freezer too. What kind of containers do you use for the fridge & freezer? Do you use plastic storage containers? I’m wanting to use glass but worried about them breaking in the fridge/freezer, so not sure of the best solution. Also, when I transfer things into my containers, I’m always left with the 1/2 cup amount that doesn’t fit. Where do you put all the left overs?

Posted by josiedegreef | September 27, 2012, 9:29 am
    • Hi Josie! I use Tupperware freezer products for the freezer — I just find they hold up in the cold temps whereas other plastic products crack or break. I also use glassware that I got at Cotsco which is made for oven to freezer and has snap lids (which are not oven-safe). When it comes to leftovers, I have to say, we rarely have any! I tend to cook just enough food unless I’m specifically making leftovers for the boys’ lunches the next day. Tim eats at his work’s cafe each day so leftovers tend to just get wasted if we have too many. 🙂

Posted by Natasha (Domestica) | September 27, 2012, 9:36 am